A Sinktastic Tale

Monday, November 14, 2005

So the rest of today I spent getting oriented with the Red Cross. Within one afternoon here, I have filled out more paperwork than I have in two years at my present job. The motto seems to be 'Hurry up to wait.' It can be a little frustrating and it would be so helpful if all these forms were logically organized online. But you just have to follow the flow.

Everyone is so giving around here, naturally. First, I met Dave who is a 50 yr old arborist, nurse, ex-marine, certified driver, budding musician, and has the appearance of a rugged biker until he opens his mouth and reveals that he is a super kind soul. He has been here for 22 days and prepared me in a way for what I would see.

Everything looks like a sea of blue tarps from the road. Signs are blown away, roofs are absent, and some areas are completely deserted. The houses and buildings are uninhabitable due to black mold and water damage. People are getting 'Katrina Cough.' Not many shops are open for business and the ones who are have hiring signs in their windows but cannot find people to take the work. There is a$6K signing bonus to start at McD's.

My job starts tomorrow first thing (6:30am) on an ERV (Emergency Response Vehicle, I believe). These vehicles drive out into the devastated areas providing food and supplies to local residents. I am eager to just get out there and start trying to help. I am by far the youngest person that I have seen so far, but maybe once out in the field I will find others that grew up watching Reading Rainbow and had NKOTB buttons in sixth grade. :)

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Erin, if you need a long distance adult sitter, I am there for you. Keep up the dedicated work - I am sure there is so much red tape but you will make a huge impact! We miss you!!!!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Allen Romero said...

nice work on the blog and the journey with the red cross. keep it real in new oleans. we'll be thinking of you tonight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home