A Sinktastic Tale

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

KB has made me a food snob :)

It's true; I have been corrupted by my best friends religious following of the burgundy bible. Lets just say that the meals we are dishing out are not Zagat rated. The hot dogs were glowing and the black-eyed peas were not releasing any top dance hits. My sweatshirt reeeeeeeks. I am seriously concerned about the nutritional value of anything that is being delivered. The best thing going is the bottled water and you can bet that most likely comes from a tap about a block from the 9th ward. People with special dietary needs are screwed. One thing that should be taken into consideration is diabetic friendly meals. Many of the people we serve are elderly people stuck in their homes and a hot dog with some potato chips are not something that will help them out.

No matter how cold it was, today was filled with really great memories. We drove out into one of the most affected areas and passed out meals to people truly in need. They are all gutting their houses due to the black mold and damage that has taken over. With faulty or no electricity and no appliances, they rely on this service to provide food for their families. The day was 14.5 hours in duration- but it reasserts how worthwhile these efforts are. I feel badly even being tired right now; I daydreamed about Papalote burritos and seasonal latte-ing my dollars away today. My reality is that those things are not too far in my future. And the reality here for many is very different.

I did make it to a local bar last night and got an earful on the scene around here. It was amazing to start as a fly on the wall and then join in. I splurged on a Coors Light- $1.50!!- from the bartender, who calls everyone 'Buhh-aaayybeeee.' She was a stitch. And the bar owner was explaining how the city worked when Katrina first hit. He 'caww-mandeeer'd a generator from the good ole' boys' to get his place going. I believe that is how he found a frig, cooler, etc. He is a long time citizen who has lived through many a flood and he takes no sh!t from anyone. He also whips up all the fixins at his bar. I promised to come back to try his Crab Ettouffe- yikes. Better 'caww-mandeeer' myself some Tums.

Everyone here thinks I am 18. It is hilarious and sad all in one. I have been picked up by a few of the Americorps whipper snappers and then I tell them that I was out of college before they finished high school. They still think anything over 25 is geriatric. Ahhh, life is twisted.

2 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Allen Romero said...

Not sure if it was KB or California that made you the food snob?

Great to be able to hear your update. :-) Glad we've got great people like you helping out!

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. X... I would like to say that your palate has tasted greatness, and it doesn't want to go back... haha-- so great to read your tales! You are doing such an amazing job down there-- sending lots of love to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home