A Sinktastic Tale

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Goooooood Mornin' New Orleans!!

Today was pretty interesting as I got to be the 'voice' of the R.C. The dispatch lady lost her voice so I filled in for the operation. The role is to be the communication center for ~30 ERV's (ambulances full of volunteers and food). I got to ride in the lead truck out of the yard and took a look back down the line. It was very moving to see a train of stocked vehicles full of enthusiastic volunteer. Traffic stops as all the rigs exit and they lay on their horns cheering.

I was nervous to be dispatcher since I am not big on hearing my voice or talking over the radio. It is sort of like constantly mass emailing the entire company without a spell check option- zoiks. But it worked out and was actually pretty fun to be navigating a map and helping to route the drivers to various areas in need of meals. I got the radio lingo down and was taking creative liberty with radio nicknames- I crack myself up if no one else.

There are so many different sides of this operation and I have had the chance to catch a glimpse from a number of angles. The operation as all volunteer managed by some of the most gicing people I have ever encountered. Their days start at 6am and I am not sure they ever end. I would have loved to have the chance to help the organization that actually cooks the 20,000+ meals a day. There day starts at 3am and goes to 3pm.

I hope that I will have the chance to come back as I am already getting sad to leave. However, I am really looking forward to a freshly made salad- I am missing my daily dates with the newly engaged (YAY!!) C. McAwesome at the No Name Cafe..... oh man oh man that place is heaven on earth. I am always grateful for the lunches that I get at work; now more than EVER!!! I am truly a lucky lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home