A Sinktastic Tale

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

2 cents on Tuesday...

My observation for today has to do with the overall impression of the Red Cross. In general, they have the heart of Mother Theresa, but the organizational skills of Homer Simpson.
  • Example A: Each day they print out about 14 copies of a one-sheeter stating today's date and hang them all over the office at Headquarters. Now seriously, this is a waste of time, paper, tape, and more. Get a digitally dated clock or I don't know... how 'bout a flippin annual calendar!!

It is so frustrating to witness the antiquated ways that they go about completing a task. Aaaargh. I am so fortunate to work at a place where there is no paperwork and EVERYTHING is done online.

But on a brighter note, the people that I have met here are amazing. Even when their personal situation is not completely in order or they working through their own problems, they are here helping out and I feel really lucky to have met them. This whole situation has helped me put some things in perspective and realize what is truly important in my life. I don't know what it is about New Orleans, but each time I come here I am at some sort of a life cross-road.

The first time I came was sophomore yr of college for Mardi Gras. Flynn, Sully, KB and I loaded up the Sunfire and paid $.99/ gallon all the way through the night. It was my first out of state road trip and man did that ever ignite the travel bug within. I had a blast (and behaved) and was left with so many memories.

The second time I made it to New Orleans was for the AIDS marathon in February of 2005. Now I never thought my stumpy legs would carry me 26.2 miles, but the flat terrain of New Orleans helped show me that slow and steady got the race done and I could do it if I just believed in myself.

This time down, I came because all the signs were pointing me this way. I am SO glad that I did because I was stressin' pretty hard about what would happen if I left work for two weeks or if I could afford to take unpaid leave so near the holidays and a bunch of other dumb stress. But after a few days of being here, I knew it was the right call. No one is going to starve if I do not call them back that day or send them an over-detailed email on a program that is set up to be self-managed. But this work is truly rewarding and I learn something new each day from the strength of the people in this area.

Man, I am not sure what it is about New Orleans and me... but I am glad that I stumbled upon this place and want to pay it back by doing all I can to try and put it back together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home