A Sinktastic Tale

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Out-processed from homeland security

Whelp, I finished up my time in New Orleans and was SOOO sad to take off. Just when I was getting fully in the swing of things I have to head back to 'real-world' responsibilities. I have met some wonderful people here and had the chance to get an upclose look at a historically devastating event. The things I will remember are the 'thank yous,' the little kids, Red Cross acronyms, the horrible smell and awkward silence brought on by the hurricanes, and the feelings of hope for the future of the Gulf coast region.

I had to say G'bye to all my new friends down here and that was sad, too. One of my new Southern old guy friends (who calls me 'Urn') tells me that I 'will make someone a good wife someday.' Haha- I think that is a southernism for 'You're swell.' Because, honestly that wife thing seems major (hit me on my pager, haha).

I cannot believe how much of an impact such a short time can have on your outlook. But it has been an intense dose of shocking images, destruction and a glimpse at enormous loss. Things like this really help put everything in perspective and I am fortunate to have experienced it. I have learned more about what I should value and how everyone needs a hug or a smile sometimes to make the day look brighter. I find this type of work truly rewarding so I am going to try and stay heavily involved. Maybe I should start petitioning for more hours in the day or days in the week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home